The Training and Doctrine Command, Philippine Army (TRADOC, PA) traces its origin on January 11, 1936 when Commonwealth Act No. 1, otherwise known as the National Defense Act, was signed into law that created the Philippine Army. The formative years of this major service unit of the Armed Forces of the Philipines were slow. When Pearl Harbor was bombed in December 1941, attempts to fully operationalize the training institution were hampered as all resources of the command were directed to organize cadres and train the core of instructors to train officers and personnel that saw action in World War II. During this period, the Training and Operation Department of the Headquarters, Philippine Army (HPA) took the responsibility as chief overseer and implementor of setting the basic standard of training for the fledgling Philippine Army. On January 2, 1947 the Military Training Command (MTC) was organized pursuant to General Orders No. 12, HPA. When Executive Order No. 308 was issued, the military organization was divided into five major commands, namely: Philippine Ground Force (PGF); Philippine Air Force (PAF); Philippine Naval Patrol (PNP); Philippine Service Command (PSC); and the Philippine Constabulary (PC). The MTC was abolished on October 24, 1947 but its mission and objectives were subsumed to the PGF. The PGF was deactivated on December 31, 1950 giving way to the creation of the Replacement and Training Center on January 1, 1951. To address the insurgency threat, the AFP increased recruitment of officers and enlisted personnel who had to undergo training on unconventional warfare that included members of the Philippine Constabulary Companies and other AFP reserved units which complemented combat operations of regular units with civic actions and community relations activities. In order to achieve the increasing demands to professionalize and standardize training, the Armed Forces of the Philippines Training Center (AFPTC) was activated, and the Philippine Army School Center (PASC) was designated as one of its major units. On November 15, 1951 the Philippine Army Training Command (PATC) was renamed to Philippine Army School Center with operating training centers namely: Replacement Training Center; Manila Reserve Officers Training Center; Station Complement; 1st Airborne Battalion; and 1st Cavalry Squadron. Soon after, other service schools were consolidated and made under the direct supervision and control of the PATC. These schools were the Military Intelligence Training School (October 5, 1951); the Adjutant General School (June 1, 1952); The Engineer School (June 1, 1952); the School for Reserve Commission (September 1, 1954); and the Army Extension School (February 1, 1955). In 1956, the Signal Service Group was added to PASC pursuant to GO No. 71, HPA dated February 3, 1958 that took effect shortly on February 18. In 1959, PASC's schools were also renamed as follows: School for Combined Arms (Intelligence and Infantry); School for Technical Services (Engineer, Ordnance, Signal and Quartermaster); and School for Administration (Adjutant General and Finance). On August 16, 1963 PASC was designated back to its former name, the Philippine Army School Center. The Command and General Staff School, the Manila ROTC and the Preparatory Military Training (PMT) were assigned to PASC pursuant to GO No. 39, HPA dated August 12, 1963. It was during this period that the role of the Army in nation-building was given impetus allowing the employment of engineers in the military in support to national government's civil works program. Thus, the Engineer Training Center was created and was moved to Camp Tinio, Nueva Ecija where it stands until today.

          The next decade saw the adoption of key innovations in the schools' methodology and systems development. The Army Marksmanship Training Unit (May 15, 1970) further enhanced its capabilities and institutionalized the marksmanship proficiency of soldiers, while the Doctrine Development Center (June 1, 1970) embarked on consolidating lessons learned from the units in the field to beef up research and studies on doctrines and concepts, tactics and techniques. The DDC later developed doctrines for the Philippine Army. Changes in the Philippine Army organization continued as threats from the communist and secessionist insurgencies necessitated the activation of other units and the corresponding adjustments in the Table of Organization and Equipment (TOE) as well as in the Table of Distribution (TD). PASC was reorganized on August 1, 1970 in accordance with GO No. 12, HPA dated July 27, 1970. Included in the said General Orders were the activation of the Headquarters and Headquarters Service Company (December 16, 1970) and the Student Training Unit (December 16, 1970). To bring formal education to all major PA installations, the Army-Wide Service Support School was established on December 1, 1973. The Ordnance and the Chemical Institute and the Communication-Electronics Institute were as well founded. The School for Technical Service was renamed to School for Administration and Logistics. In 1974, PASC acquired the School for Reserve Commission (Non-Commissioned Officer Candidate School) and the Scout Ranger Training Unit. On June 1, 1976 the Philippine Army Training Command (PATC) was reestablished pursuant to GO No. 507, HPA. The plan was to cover the entire spectrum of Army Training - the "total approach" that seeks to correct problems of inequities in resources and optimize utilization of resources. The organizational landscape constituted the Command with the following units: Headquarters and Headquarters Support Group (HHSG); Service School for Combat Arms (SSCA); Ordnance and Chemical Institute (OCI); COMM-EL (Communication Electronics) Institute (CEI); School for Administration and Logistics and the Engineer School (SCALES); Combat Development Center (CODEC); the Army-Wide Support Training Center (AWSTRAC); Special Operations Center (SPECTER); and Manpower Skills Training Center (MASTRAC) which was later deactivated. Its function was absorbed by AWSTRAC. The SCALES was abolished and the Management Institute (MI, SSC) was organized. In 1980s, PATC was transformed based on its new role. The Manpower Development Center (MDC) was set up and took the role of the unfilled AWSTRAC. The Army Printing and Training Aid Unit (APTAU) was formed to replace the Publication Branch of CODEC. The MDC was deactivated transferring the Non-Residents School to SCA, SSC and the Civilian Personnel School to the MI, SSC which was later absorbed by MDC, HHSB. The Institute for Non-Commissioned Officer was organized when the School for Reserve Commission was deactivated. The 1st Infantry (Tabak) Division was transferred to Mindanao. Headquarters Philippine Army deemed it necessary for the Philippine Army Training Command (TRACOM) to occupy a vast military reservation in 1983, that is "more conducive to training and studies". The Command moved to Fort Magsaysay, Nueva Ecija from Fort Bonifacio for students to avail themselves of ideal more conducive grounds. That same year, PA Training Command was reorganized to standardize and improve training. With this renewed thrust of the command, the Army Non-Commissioned School (ANS) was formed. While SPECTER was renamed Special Operation School (SOS), the School for Tactical Intelligence (STI) was activated which formerly was included in the School for Combined Arms - intelligence and infantry). After a series of creation, establishment, activation and deactivation, PASC emerged into an institution attuned to the demands of an army fighting insurgency and secession.

          In 1984, all Army Training Group (ATGs) were unfilled. The Civil Military Operations School (CMOS) was activated to further enhance the Army CMO capability and non-military approaches in line with the counterinsurgency campaign of the AFP. Also, the COMMEL Institute and Ordnance and Chemical Institute were designated as COMMEL School (CES) and Ordnance and Chemical School (OCS), respectively. The February 1986 popular revolt made a major change in the AFP. The PATC was reorganized and renamed to Training Command Philippine Army (TCPA) pursuant to Sec. III, GO No. 150 dated June 11, 1986. Corresponding modifications were done on the following subordinate units: Headquarters and Headquarters Service Battalion (HHSB); Combat Arms School (CAS); Ordnance and Chemical School (OCS); Communications and Electronics School (CES); Service Support School (SSS); The Engineer School (TES); Training Aid and Printing Unit (TAPU); Soldier School (SS); Tactical Intelligence School (TIS); Special Operations School (SOS); and the Civil Military Operations School (CMOS). Moreover, the Station Hospital at Fort Magsaysay and the 3rd Field Artillery Battalion was assigned to TCPA being the host unit. Meanwhile, the Special Operations School took over the training of the Scout Ranger and Special Forces on September 1, 1987. From Fort Magsaysay, TCPA returned to Fort Bonifacio on January 1, 1989 (GO No. 543) while the following schools were separated from the Command and became part of the Service Extension Schools (SESs): Tactical Intelligence School (TIS), the Engineer School (TES), COMM-EL School (CES), Civil-Military Operations School (CMOS), and the Armor Branch, CAS. The Soldier School was deactivated, however, the Officer Preparatory and Soldier School (OPSS) was established and stayed at Fort Magsaysay. It provided training to newly-CAD (Call to Active Duty) officers and NCOs for troops based in Luzon. The Student Administrative Center (SAC) was activated on the same year. The 1990s saw a series of changes and modifications infused into training policies and directives. This was to fully establish a functional training system suitable for the present situation. The Command's mission was realigned with the AFP education and training philosophy. It was the reason why the Engineer School, Armor School, and COM-EL School were reverted to the TCPA. The Speech Laboratory Facilities were renovated in 1992 to accommodate the newly acquired state-of-the-art equipment. A modern computer-simulated Marksmanship Expert Trainer (MET) was installed to further hone the skills of soldiers prior to actual firing. The concept of Small Group Instructions (SGI) was adopted at the Combat Arms School for necessary individual knowledge and skills for the job. The Research and Development Department of Ordnance and Chemical School was revitalized to improve hands-on capability of the students. It commenced the creation of the Philippine Army's Research Development facility.

          The Battle Board Simulation Center under CAS, established in 1994, served as new venue for training with the use of Computer-Assisted Battle Simulation or war-gaming exercises for TRADOC students, other AFP units and allied armed forces. Before the year ends, the Command and General Staff School (CGSS) was reactivated. In 1995, the Philippine Army was reorganized to conform with the envisioned modern, lean and mean Army that will meet the challenges of the 21st century. With this, TCPA was designated as Training and Doctrine Command, Philippine Army (TRADOC, PA ),effective March 1, 1995 (GO Nr. 231). In that same year, in-country training courses were introduced in cooperation with the Australian Army. On February 1, 1996 TRADOC evolved with four major units namely: the HHSB, the Training Center (TC), the Doctrine Center (DC), and the CGSS. Administrative Department (provisional) and the HHSB were deactivated. Subsequently, the Training Support Unit (provisional) catering to non-academic requirement of trainings was necessitated to integrate the functions of the Record Branch, Electronic Data Processing Branch and the Student Administrative Department. On the same date, the Speech Laboratory and the Training Aid and Printing Department (TAPD) were added to TSU. The Officer Candidate and Soldier School (OCSS) and Non-Commissioned Officer School (NCOS) were forerunner of the former0 AFPTC's Officer Candidate School (OCS) and AFP Non-Commissioned Officer Academy (AFP NCOA). NCOS was renamed Army NCO Academy (NCOA). Both schools trained former MNLF rebels integrated into the AFP by virtue of the Government Republic of the Philippines – Moro National Liberation Front Peace Accord. Furthermore, the 5th Army Training Group was reassigned to TRADOC (GO No. 402, HPA) on March 22, 1999 which was later placed under the operational control of 5th Infantry Division, PA. Specialization courses for enlisted personnel were provided by 3ATG in the Visayas and Mindanao while 5ATG in the sale of substantial portion of Fort Bonifacio in the 1990s, in accordance with the Bases Conversion Law, compelled TRADOC to relocate temporarily at Fort Magsaysay pending construction of its permanent facilities and eventual transfer to Camp O'Donnell, Capas, Tarlac. At present, TRADOC, PA - popularly known as the "Home of the Professionals" - is hub for learning and development of officers, enlisted personnel and civilian employees of the Philippine Army including personnel for other major and technical services. Latest units (as of 2010) that were included in the Command were the Land Warfare Center (LWC) and Guidance Counseling Office. Today, as we move forward to the 21st century, TRADOC, PA organized over half a century ago, has a mission "to educate and train personnel and develop doctrines for the Philippine Army."